Re: Re: Yamaha 321S Euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on September 12, 2001 at 07:26:45:

In Reply to: Re: Yamaha 321S Euphonium posted by js on September 10, 2001 at 22:26:48:

The benefit of Joe’S suggestion of mounting a leadpipe with a large receiver on the 321 is the freedom it will give you in choices of mouthpieces

After all there are so many more relevant euphonium mouthpieces to choose from, if ones instrument takes a bass bone sized shank.

Two further comments:

The YEP321 is a good middlevel instrument, almost as good as the Weril. Excellent where a lighter weight instrument is desirable. But no matter what you might do about mouthpiecess or leadpipes, you will not get an instrument that has the weight of sound generally associated with pro euphs. Not to speak of tenor tubas.

I have 3 instruments with tenor bone size receivers, on which I would like to use quite large mouthpieces, which are not available from general production lines. For these instruments I use a Denis Wick 4AY. A model originally developed exactly for the YEP321. Working fine for students of mine.

For my own use on a B&H Imperial Brit baritone, a Kanstul G baritone, and a Hawkes G bass bone I have modified my own DW4AY. Not only have I as usually opened the backbore. In this case I also have opened the throat bore and the funnel entry to the throat. Not beautiful in a craftsman’s eyes, but it actually works. Needs more control, but also gives you more air-leverage to execute control.

Klaus

Follow Ups: