Is this a well known signature in the US

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on September 13, 2001 at 04:39:20:

Sorry for just another link to a site, which is the most panoptic one for me, when it comes to diversity of illustrations of brass instruments.

Pre-WWII band instruments in Denmark mostly were Danish made, when it came to brasses. Makers were mostly I. K. Gottfried, followed by Schmidt, both of Copenhagen. When I started out in 1960 my first instrument was a small bore Schmidt valve alto trombone, my second was a larger bored IKG ditto. Both owned by my band. Sadly it did not come across my mind to buy especially the very good IKG, which must have been pre 1943, when IKG stopped making anything but lurs because materials were no longer available.

A longish prelude to my asking about the fate of the Lignatone brand/engraving in the US.

Lignatone was mostly represented in Denmark by piston instruments from the midd 50-ties to the early 60-ies, when their bad piston quality had made any further marketing impossible. Schenkelars, lower grade Besson/B&H, later better grade Besson/B&H and the early Yamahas took over.

The link below was my first hint at all, that these instrumenst have been sold in the US. The photographical documenetation of the to me well known "Lion tone" engraving is very clear.

Were the Lignatones ever common in the US?

Klaus

Follow Ups: