Re: digital strobe tuners

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on September 13, 2001 at 05:50:09:

In Reply to: digital strobe tuners posted by Bryan on September 11, 2001 at 01:50:06:

Whereas I have 28 years ago actually tried a Strobotuner, I think it was a Conn, I have not seen digital equivalents yet.

My system of tuning a non-pro brass ensemble is not to tune to one note, mostly Bb, but to make a lot of cross references to more problematic notes. Employing my knowledge of the single player combined with a statistical approach. Not a fast procedure to do by ear.

My almost 20 years old BOSS TU-12 needle Chromatic Tuner was a relief. Now I could go directly for the best "reference" note of every single player.

Digging myself steadily lower through personal brasses (with only the G-contra bugle, and the extremely rare EEb and BBb, missing, probably for ever, from my low end specimens) I had to realise the downwards limitations of the TU-12-

The Korg DT-3 LED "fake strobe" is much better, when it comes to extended ranges.

But none of them are approching the original analog strobotuner, which had seperate displays for quite a number of overtones.

I met the strobotuner in the recorder world. The recorder has many limitations, but very precise undercuttings of the toneholes, graduation of the bore, and angling between windchannel and labium actually makes a quite detailed tuning of the sympathetic overtones possible.

What wonders me is, that the testers I have heard, play very ugly. But maybe their taking the instruments beyond their dynamic limits is, what is needed. The process actually works.

Klaus

Follow Ups: