Re: Horn for an Education Major

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on September 14, 2001 at 06:48:33:

In Reply to: Horn for an Education Major posted by Greg S. on September 13, 2001 at 23:50:30:

A few horns I would look into:
Miraphone 188-5U (sounds a little "broader" than a 186)
Meinl-Weston 32
Meinl-Weston 2145 (piston valves)

These above three horns price out around $5-6K so you won't go broke. Also, they will be big enough for just about any college orchestra or band (with exception to conservatory-type environments). Plus with the difference you save between the horns you list and these, you can get a good used F tuba now to really get started. You mention using the CC for solo work and all but the Hirsbrunner and B&S would be too big. If you want to spend a little more money look into the Yamaha YCB-861 or an Alex 163 CC. These are even a little big. The Meinl-Weston 2155 would be good if you had an F to balance it with. The Willson falls into the same category, but for almost $10K I think a good used or new 2165 is a better bargain or a VMI 6/4 Neptune (rotary or piston). I personally have used a Miraphone 188-5U in all of the ensembles/situations you have listed and I now own a MW32 and would not hesitate to use it for the same also. However, for solo work and orchestra work and tuba quartet, I would own an F just to add to my toolbox another instrument to achieve a different effect. For example, if you are doing Brahms #2 (I remember that being the one with the tuba part), you are much better off with an F tuba. Also, if you are doing any Berlioz or anything marked Bass Tuba (i.e. Die Meistersinger) you would be better served with an F.

But...
As a past Music Ed major myself, I sometimes wish I had kept playing BBb and acquired good BBb and F tubas for my needs. Reason being, 99.99% of the students you will teach are going to come to you with a BBb tuba if you have to loan them a horn in a special circumstance or just fingering compatability can become an issue. Now I am CC-ified and too lazy to switch back. But more than likely I will be buying a BBb again.

Best of Luck,
Matt G

Follow Ups: