valve replating

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim C. on September 14, 2001 at 20:17:33:

My valves leaked, of that I was sure. I was told by a repairperson that my valves should not be replated, as they are solid brass rotors. At the time, he gave me a plausible explination which, of course, I can't quite remember - I believe it had something to do with how the valve would wear after the replate. I didn't question his more on WHY because (1) the shop for whom he works is the only HB distributer in my neck of the woods (namely the western hemisphere), so I expect if anyone knew, he would (2) I've hears nothing but highest praise about his work and (3) why would any repairman suggest that I have the work done somewhere OTHER than his own shop (he suggested the factory)? WHen I called my local "pro" shop (and I use the term pro wuite loosely), they immediately said they would replate the valves, no problem. Perhaps that was a case like Jeff posted earlier (about valve corks) of someone not knowing the horn well enough to know that replating was not a good option...

So hence my question: is there any reason that one whould not replate solid brass rotors?

Replies will most likely fall into either the "yes, because..." category or the "you're nuts" category. Just to help focus the discussion, would those with the latter opinion provide some credible evidence? Thanks in advance.

Follow Ups: