Re: Weril Euphoniums

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on September 17, 2001 at 00:30:14:

In Reply to: Weril Euphoniums posted by Jonathan on September 16, 2001 at 00:50:20:

This great board rarely lets any contributor hang with a relevant question. Seems like all of the regulars are awaiting, that Joe Salesmansburger or I will act as Pavlovian dogs and chime in on the Weril euph cue. Apparently I took the bait at last (or let that be first).

A search of the archives of this board and of the Tubaeuph list will reveal, that I have spoken in favour of the Weril as being a very relevant choice at the level below the pro 3+1 compensating euph models (of which I find Hirsbrunner and Yamaha the most relevant ones, with Yamaha being my personal choice).

The plusses of the Weril are its large receiver (allowing for infinite choices of mouthpiece and for a very free blowing feel), its open 4th valve wrapping, its generally open sound, and its low weight.

The minusses are the 4 top pistons (which I find inferior to the 3+1 set-up, when it comes to ergonomics), the too delicate threading of the valve caps, the 4th valve slide entering the abdominal area of a semi-heavyweight person (a reversed viewpoint might be of some relevance), and the tiny edge on the sound, that I prefer not being there in euphonionism. My test was done with the generic Weril 1 1/2G mouthpiece. Had I used my own larger mouthpiece, my evaluation might have been even more favourable.

If you are a section member of a decent community band, then the Weril would be fine. If you regularly are standing as the soloist in front of a more ambitious outfit, another, more expensive, choice would be relevant.

One place to find the Weril is at Joe’S store MidSouth Brass in Memphis (isn’t that in Egypt). He even offers it in a convertible marching version.

Klaus

Follow Ups: