Re: I need advise.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on September 20, 2001 at 12:46:59:

In Reply to: I need advise. posted by Rather not say on September 20, 2001 at 10:28:02:

I can't say the best way to communicate your feelings to your teacher, since I don't personally know either of the people or personalities involved. I would assume that since your teacher is human, outside factors such as pressure at home or professionally could effect his dealings with you on a subconscious level.

However, I can make a couple of suggestions to perhaps see if the two of you are on the same page.

Does your teacher play a lot in your lessons? If not, perhaps what he is saying and what you are understanding him to say are two different things. Asking him to play what he means can give you a musical concept to latch on to instead of a verbal concept. Also asking him to try to play it like you are playing it can give a real zinger of an idea as to what he is trying to say.

As others have suggested, record your practice sessions. If possible, videotape yourself. But I would make the further suggestion of doing that outside of your normal practice space. Find a nice large room somewhere (a church is great, or an auditorium) and set your audio gear up some distance from where you will actually be playing. Then you will have to fill the room to get a decent recording. You want the video camera fairly close so that you can see what you are doing.

Keeping a log of your playing time (not just practice room time, but performances, rehearsals, etc.), goals, and what you accomplished can be very enlightening to both you and your teacher. You may find that of the 5 1/2 hours a day that you are playing, only 1 1/2 are good, productive practice time. The rest of the time, you are just playing and not necessarily focussing on the types of things that you need to. So a log will show you and your teacher how much quality practice time you are really getting.

But Sean is right on the mark here; your teacher is still more sympathetic and understanding than any audition committee will be.

My dos centavos.

Steve

Follow Ups: