Re: I need advise.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark McMahon on September 20, 2001 at 16:50:08:

In Reply to: I need advise. posted by Rather not say on September 20, 2001 at 10:28:02:

I, like Sean Chisham mentioned, have experienced teachers who were very openly complimentary and very openly critical. And I, too, prefer the teachers who were more critical. I felt as though we got more accomplished in a shorter amount of time. Some of them intimidated the s**t out of me. It was, at times, unpleasant, but at my moments of greatest frustration I paused to reflect on 3 key concepts:

1. I'm paying this guy to make me a better performer, and I wouldn't be improving at a more rapid pace studying with someone who spent the majority of our lesson time "blowing sunshine."

2. What doesn't kill me will make me stronger.

and my favorite.....

3. THIS WILL ALL BE WORTH IT WHEN THE AUDITION COMITTEE ANNOUNCES MY NUMBER AS THE WINNER!

See where I'm coming from. Try not to be caught up in having your lessons be a time during which your teacher becomes warmer, kinder, gentler, and over-all happier as an individual. I'd personally rather my teacher shoot from the hip, tell me exactly what he hears, and motivate me to be as artistic as I can be by using whatever method he deems to be appropriate.

My best advice to you would be to revisit your immediate goals with your teacher. Let him know that you have been somewhat stressed over the past weeks during your lessons, but you want to do whatever needs to be done to make positive use of your lesson time going forward. Also, keep in mind that this may not have anything to do with you. Who knows, maybe your teacher is dealing with something in his/her personal life that is particularly stressful thus causing Oscar the Grouch to regularly appear (have you thought of this?). Also, take ONE practice session off over the next day or two and go treat yourself to some cold beer or a movie or whatever you think would best get your mind off of this. Then start back at your next practice session with a fresher prospective.

At the risk of sounding cliche'
"grin and bare it"
"keep your eyes on the prize"
"breathe like a baby and play like an angel."

Sincerely,
Mark McMahon

Follow Ups: