Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New York Phil on PBS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on September 24, 2001 at 14:34:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New York Phil on PBS posted by Tim Murphy on September 23, 2001 at 22:29:44:

Tim,
I'm not spoiling for a fight, and I believe that your indignation is sincere. I'm just really trying to understand. Anyone who has followed my posts knows that I am as proud to be an American as anyone they know. I love this country, I love its people, and as a Texan I loved New York when loving New York wasn't cool. I have wept and prayed constantly for the families of the victims, the safety of the rescuers, and miraculous survival of some beneath the ruins of the WTC.

The thing is, I don't understand why you feel that the phrase 'digging through rubble' is unpatriotic or inappropriate. The WTC complex has been reduce to just that, rubble; and courageous men - heroes of our age - are digging through it as we speak, risking their lives in a long-odds hope of finding survivors. I thought that pointing out the humanity to be learned there honored, not dishonored, the rescuers and the victims.

I think the scolding doled out was well-earned, btw, but that's a separate issue. I really would hate to let any disagreement we have about rumors affect our unity in response to the attack on our nation.

Again, I'm not trying to start an argument over this. I just want to understand. I've explained my point of view, nicely I hope, and would be interested in hearing yours.

Joe Baker, whose appreciation for firefighters has gone up immeasurably in the last couple of weeks.

Follow Ups: