Re: Re: Re: Dumb Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on September 26, 2001 at 15:20:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Dumb Question posted by Jim Andrada on September 25, 2001 at 18:08:45:

I'd like to thank Chuck for his reference (quoted below)

I think, based on this quote, if I'm interpreting it correctly, that there are (at least) two systems of using large/small letters which differ by an octave.

So what we would call a BBb based on the apparently more common system would be a BBBb in the second system Chuck quotes. By this standard, an Eb could be an EEB, in which case though a euphonium would be a BBb.

This makes me think of the Abbott & Costello "Who's on First" routine, so let me try to simplify it.

1) By the most common method, what we all call a BBb tuba is a "BBb" tuba

2) By the same method, what we all call a CC tuba is areally a C Tuba, and what "some" marketing types like to call an EEb is really an Eb.

3) You could with some historical precedent call an Eb an EEb, but then a C tuba would be a CC tuba, and a BBb tuba would be a BBBb tuba.

4) No matter what you call what, our common BBb and CC designations aren't correct - any "C" is in a different octave than the "Bb" below it and should have one less letter Same marketing guys at work here? Desire to pretend they don't live in the same octave as (horrors!!!) euphonia? :-) :-) :-)

Follow Ups: