Re: Re: guess the tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bruce h on September 27, 2001 at 10:46:18:

In Reply to: Re: guess the tuba posted by Jay Bertolet on September 27, 2001 at 08:41:23:

Good post but it brings up a question that I have had for a long time but was too intimidated to ask. What constitutes a BAT? I have a Miraphone and I thought that was a BAT. I feel that I can get as big a sound, if not bigger, out of my horn than many players that I sit next to that blow on some of the newer, bigger, and much more expensive horns. Are there different levels of BAT's? It is possible to play a horn that is too big for you?

I have played for many years but I haven't played on a lot of different horns. I know that I like my horn much better than the Yamaha or Conn I use to play but I'm not sure I could put it into words why that is. My Miraphone just "feels" better to me, if that makes any sense. Plus I sound half way decent on it so I will keep it for a while longer. When I practice the family heads for the hills but at least the dog doesn't leave the room.

It's hard not to get a bad case of horn envy with all the great horns available for players to choose from now. Maybe that is the cause for some of the harsh personal attacks we see every now and then.

Play well and often.

Follow Ups: