Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: F tuba Dilemma

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on September 28, 2001 at 21:56:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: F tuba Dilemma posted by Andy Smith on September 28, 2001 at 18:37:14:

Hi Andy!

Glad to hear about the mouthpiece choice of your teacher. Even if no specifics have been given, it would be in the magnitude of my PT-50 with its opened up backbore. My choice has been Researched&Doomed to the same term, that you applied to that of your teacher. Even in that magnitude I prefer silver plate over macadamisation.

The benefit of a huge mouthpiece is that it puts the player in the control position. The flip side is that it demands the player to exercise control.

What you cite about your teachers positions on no resistance being desirable in either instrument or mouthpiece would lead me to think, that he has been trained in classical singing techniques. To avoid overload of the vocal cords, the resistance is put in the diaphragm.

On-board reports have it, that a York Master BBb with a straight bell played on the most scientifically developed and chosen mouthpiece has a ring to the bell sound. My in that hinsight more vulnerable YMBBb with its front bell has no ring to its sound, when played on the PT-modified-50.

Other correspondent give you the advise to take a shallow mouthpiece. I would say to go for that advise, if you want a shallow sound.

My advise would be to follow the lead of your teacher. The toilet bowl sized mouthpiece can produce lush rather than flush, if you invest hard work and a thorough daily warm-up in it with its application on the YFB 621. Overblowing will be an easy option of that combination. Artistry lies in the avoidance thereof.

Klaus

Follow Ups: