Re: Re: Re: "branded" elementary music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on September 02, 2002 at 16:30:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: "branded" elementary music posted by Steve W on September 02, 2002 at 11:01:32:

I don't teach it either. I just sometimes sell the super-expensive Orff intruments (very low mark-up - competitive bids) to schools and the super-expensive Suzuki c.d.s (that go with the very thin $7 books) to violin, piano, and flute students who come into my store.

Elementary music was never cut here, fortunately. As a matter of fact, I'm fairly sure that our system is always looking for more elementary music teachers. For instance, two years ago a band director at a private Catholic school (about a 20 year tenure) refused to install a "marching" program". There had never been one, and there was a great tradition of a fine concert band at the school. He was fired, and was immediately hired for more pay in the public system as an elementary school music teacher.

Here's an example of a teacher who doesn't buy the expensive Orff "gear" and does very well indeed: At a local private school with reasonable tuition and very high academic standards, the elementary music teacher purchases $30 (rather than $300) pitched instruments from us and non-name-brand rhythm instruments (not "certified" Orff) for much lower prices...

...I was just wondering about this stuff, imagining what all of the gear costs the many school systems across the country each year.

Follow Ups: