Re: In Defense of HS Teachers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brendan Bohnhorst on September 03, 2002 at 21:52:28:

In Reply to: In Defense of HS Teachers posted by Chuck Jackson on September 03, 2002 at 17:57:08:

I think that this issue has more to to with Tuba playing than you initially give it credit for. The fact is that there are more jobs teaching a high school band than being a Tuba player in a world renown Orchestra. I know of quite a few High School Band directors that are exellent tuba players, not to mention first rate directors.

1. I agree that parents put way to much blame on teachers today. If a student is struggling in a subject, then he has to want to improve before it will happen. If s/he wants to get better s/he still has to put forth the effort to improve. If the teacher can inspire and guide the student on their chosen path then they are making a difference.

2. I do know parents like this, but I don't have to deal with them for the most part. So I think that I will leave this one alone.

3. I can recall only one teacher that openly admitted a complete lack of caring for how we did in the class. They were let go after one year. Every other teacher that I had in High school would be willing to come in during lunch or after/before school to help me out if I needed it. I think that most teachers really do care how their students are doing, and are willing to help you, as long as you ASK FOR IT.

4. I don't think that high school should mirror real life. It is, in my opinion, meant to be a transition to College. If a high school was run like "The Real World", the drop out rates would be higher because a lot of people haven't matured enough yet to take it. I felt that through the first two years of High School I was being baby sat. Later on I was allowed much more freedom by taking some honors classes. The teachers in these classes seemed to really allow their students to express their individuality without sacrificing class content.

All in all, I would have to say I agree with your post/vent. I don't think that teachers get nearly enough respect. As an aspiring teacher myself, I would hope that I can someday have a positive impact on my students. If I can make them want to learn, then I have won half the battle.

Brendan Bohnhorst
Tuba Player at GVSU

Follow Ups: