Re: In Defense of HS Teachers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Excellent post on September 03, 2002 at 22:03:41:

In Reply to: In Defense of HS Teachers posted by Chuck Jackson on September 03, 2002 at 17:57:08:

Chuck,

Excellent points. IMO, it is the PARENTS' responsibility for the education of their kids, not the school system. The proper viewpoint is that they are SUBCONTRACTING this responsibility to the public schools. (Some subcontract to a private school, while others tackle the task themselves.) Regardless, the ultimate RESPONSIBILITY (note, this is not the same as "who is doing the majority of the work") for a quality educational product lies with the PARENTS of the kids. If they suck as parents, then there's no way the teachers can succeed. If the parents expect their kids to learn and do well, and are involved in the educational process (assisting the kids w/ homework, working to solve "problems" when they occur, and holding the school system accountable to deliver a good product themselves -- there is a balance here) then the result will most likely be positive. While I'm sure there are situations that don't fit my generality description, I'd wager they are largely in the minority.

Best of luck -- keep at it!

Steve Inman
speaking from experience in Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: