Re: favorite moment?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on September 06, 2002 at 19:37:23:

In Reply to: favorite moment? posted by ck on September 05, 2002 at 16:56:23:

Part of what I'll label a "musical moment" is a stipulation of sorts -- that it be part of a certain performance, either recorded or live. If it's simply the notes, then to me, it's a "compositional moment", so to speak. Any genuis-level written moment can be ruined -- or raised to glory -- by the performers involved.

Personally, I'll never forget sightreading the melody part of "Zoot Suit Riot" on euph during a show where I had gone simply to see my parents perform. I went down to the pit to say hi to my mom & dad and the rest of the band, and one of the bandleaders said, "Hey, you want to play? I was going to double between euph and trumpet, but you're welcome to sit in!" THAT whole experience was a blast, sightreading written and improv stuff in a live performance in front of maybe three thousand people, and -- best of all -- as part of a show that I've watched my parents do for as long as I could remember.

Another moment was the last time we played Bach's "Chorale Prelude" in the quintet at the church I grew up with. It was the last piece we played, concluding the last season I was in the group before moving off to continue college. We always played this one well, but this time was special.

And, I'm going into a genre that some won't like to hear about...

Santa Clara Vanguard 1984, the resolution just after the company front dissolves in the closer, Copland's "Tender Land".. I have NEVER been able to just let that one go by without hitting the rewind button five or ten times.

Empire Statesmen 1997, as a member -- I have never before, or since, been a part of a performance where everything went so right, so perfectly, and with often frightening amounts of energy. It's one of those things that defies adequate description.

Anyway, back to tuba talk...

Follow Ups: