Re: Re: Helicon tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on September 08, 2002 at 14:58:44:

In Reply to: Re: Helicon tubas posted by Jim on September 08, 2002 at 10:51:55:

The first sousaphone was made in the 1880s, but they didn't really displace helicons until the 1920s.

How a helicon plays depends on the particular model and instrument, the same way there is variation among tubas and sousaphones. Everything else being equal, a helicon will sound very similar to a sousaphone and can have good intonation. They usually have smaller bells than sousaphones, which causes the sound to be a little less spread out than an equivalent sousaphone, although I have seen a helicon with a 29" bell, so there are exceptions. The other problem with helicons is transporting or shipping them. Most don't have detachable bells, so they take up a lot of space.

I agree with those who said that helicons are good for standing gigs. They are usually more compact and lighter than a sousaphone, and easier to carry around than a tuba with a strap. I have an 1890s vintage helicon that plays as well as any of my other tubas, as long as I use heavy oil because the valves are worn. Once I get the valves done I'm sure that it will be a great playing horn and it is fun to play.

I have tried a new Cerveny 4 valve BBb helicon and found it to be easy to play and it sounded great to me. The price was just a little more than I was willing to pay because I don't have enough gigs for which it would be appropriate.

Follow Ups: