Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by GC on September 11, 2002 at 09:37:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers? posted by Kenneth Sloan on September 10, 2002 at 23:37:01:

Maybe we've missed each other's points. The problem with advanced degrees for middle school teachers was that the powers that be were going to require that middle school teachers in those areas must have math and science area degrees, not just middle grades certificaton. While it's a good idea that these teachers should have a love for the subject area and concentrate on it, teachers with enough knowledge in the area can teach the subject quite competently. Also, most people with middle school certificates DO have areas of concentration and take quite a number of courses in those areas. Most people with specific math and science degrees do not go into those areas with middle school in mind. The predominant mind set for people with those degrees who want to go into education is to teach high school or college. Requiring these degrees, with teacher shortages growing worse and worse, is just going to aggravate the problem. Also, most of the people who have math and science degrees and who teach middle school do not want to stay there; instead, they want to move to higher grade levels where they can teach courses that involve more of their knowledge.

At no point did I say anything that indicates that I don't think that having an advanced degree in math is a bad idea for middle school teachers, I just think that it should not be required. Many of the best middle school math and science teachers that I've known did just fine without specific math and science degrees. Nor did I ever say that a teacher only needs to know the subject matter that he teaches; advanced knowledge provides a perfect base for enrichment. In think that you're guilty of assuming that the middle school certification is more narrow and restrictive than it actually is. Also, many middle school teachers in my state do have subject area degrees that allow them to teach both middle school and high school, and many people with high school certificates add middle grades to their certified areas.

I have degrees in math and music, and I have been certified in K-12 music, 7-12 math, middle grades, reading, and general science over the years. I am currently teaching business ed and computer courses. I added these extra certification areas to my two degree areas by outside coursework and study. Most of the people I have taught with over the years have continued their educations and broadened their knowledge as a matter of course. Rarely have I ever encountered a teacher who is satisfied that he or she knows all that they need to know. Also, our state requires further coursework for renewal of certificates every 5 years, so nobody can simply sit still and quit learning.

Follow Ups: