Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Slide triggers on a Getzen

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham W. on September 12, 2002 at 18:11:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Slide triggers on a Getzen posted by Doug on September 11, 2002 at 14:23:28:

I would give it some time in ensemble playing. Make sure you are warm and the horn is too. Tune the C and then go from there. If you can hear your ensemble playing and it is fine (in tune), then you just need to do more of it and when you play solo you will lip it in tune automatically. Also, just try listening to your distances between your chromatics. Occasionally, I can hear myself playing something too sharp or too flat when I play solo. As your ear matures (mine too), it will be easier for you to know when to adjust and to do so. Most players can eventually do it without thinking about it.

For the first valve slide, I would just use your hand. It's not that much out of the way and a trigger installed anywhere else wouldn't be that great of an advantage in my opinion (might get in the way of how your gig bag fits too). For your pedal F, I would suggest moving the 4th valve tuning slide when needed. I use mine for that solo in the second movement of Holst's Second Suite (love that solo). For any F's that you have to play in passing, I would suggest practicing "barking" (not really) out that note and try to lip it down. It can be difficult and I may not even have it yet, but if all else fails, just position your hand on the first valve above the piping that becomes the bottom bow and then you can easily get to either slide. The thing about triggers is that they are permanent until you readjust them. You can't do it that easily while you are playing and suddenly notice that a note you are sitting on is out of tune.

My unedjukated ramblings from my experience...

Graham W.

Follow Ups: