Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Willson 3050

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Fritz on September 17, 2002 at 17:05:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Willson 3050 posted by Matt G on September 17, 2002 at 10:46:49:

I don´t want to step on anybody´s toes but... Actually, one of the main ideas behind a handmade tuba like the MW 2000 is to achieve greater eveness thoughout the top and bottom bows which is where the main difference is in a handmade tuba is. When you use a hydrolic press to blow up the bows (which is how most brass instruments are made) then there is alot of stretching in the metal in the big end of the bow. When you hand make a bow, you do it in such a way that there is little stretching in the metal so therefore the thickness of the metal is more even throughout the tuba. Also, you can work with a thinner metal which helps the tuba vibrate better and is why the 2000 weighs less than the 2155. About consistency... I have been to the Wenzel Meinl factory and I was told that there are only 2 guys who make the bows for the 2000 in order to maintain a better level of consistency. If they are sick, then no 2000 bows are made. These tubas are as "mass" produced as they can be and Wenzel Meinl won´t be tooling up more to "mass" produce them because they are handmade tubas. They are already tooled up as much as they can for this model. I have owned a 2155 and now have a 2000. They both are fine tubas but I really do believe the 2000 is more superior tuba. I also don´t agree that the 2000 has the same intonation problems as the 2155. The 2000 is one of the most intune tubas ever made. Sorry for the long post but this is all very interesting and I encourage all tubas players to try and visit tuba factorys. It is a VERY big and fun education (considering most factorys are in Europe and they have lots of good bier). Thanks....

Follow Ups: