Re: Bb Treble Clef Brass Band Music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Karl on September 20, 2002 at 23:15:39:

In Reply to: Bb Treble Clef Brass Band Music posted by David Nondahl on September 20, 2002 at 09:41:23:

You did not mention what type (key) of tuba that you would be using to play the BBb treble part. If you are using a BBb tuba, I would suggest you follow the advice of an earlier post and learn to read it as if you were playing a Bb trumpet.

In any case, I stongly suggest you just sit down and learn the fingerings. I play BBb tuba part using a BBB tuba in a rather new, but challenging brass band, (Brass Band of Central Florida). Fortunately before switching to tuba in Jr Hi some 30+ years ago, I started out on trumpet, so it was not too difficult for me to pick it up again last year when I started with the BBCF. Maybe it is my age, but I would never be able to play the music if I always had to think transposing, different key signatures and accidentals.

On the other hand, it always impresses me to watch and hear my other 2 peers (I use that term loosely since they are so much better that I), bring CC, F, and Eb tubas and be able to read the Eb or BBb parts by transposing.

Have fun.

Karl Parks
Orlando, FL

Follow Ups: