Empire Brass Concert Last night

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dr. Phil Golson on September 21, 2002 at 15:53:25:

Drove 2 hours down to Iowa. Got in with 5 minutes to spare (thanks alot Mapquest:( )Gotta say, cheers for Kenneth Amis, and boos for Smedvig--Smedvig admitted, following a series of real clanks, whiffs, and 16th-note-run-dropoffs, to all of us last night that "this is the hardest concert I've ever played." I've never heard such an admission in front of a concert audience. He and 2nd trumpet Marc Reese had PLENTY to do, note-wise, but both seemed a tad tired or distracted. This was a joint concert with William Kuhlman at the impressive organ in Decorah, Iowa, and Telarc was on hand to record not only the live show, but subsequent closed sessions today and tomorrow. Perhaps it was the 2 hour masterclass just prior to the evening performance.

Side-note, pity the E.B. didn't do more solo 5tet work (sans organ.) Couldn't hear much of Amis's playing till the organist laid out for a few works. He had a big and even sound coming from the organ loft where the group was perched. He also is playing an upright-valve Besson (didn't know the model.) If anyone knows him, pass him my thankful regards as a fellow tubist.

Anybody weigh in on how many pro players play upright-valve tubas publicly? With the exception of Euro brass bands, I had never seen a horn like this in a concert.

Follow Ups: