6/4 Dixie gig

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Jackson on September 23, 2002 at 22:33:32:

I had my first chance to use my 6/4 BBb York on a Dixieland gig last night. The group was pretty much acoustic, the banjo player uses a small battery powered amp. Clarinet/sop, trumpet, tuba, banjo. The small group was nice ‘cause I got to solo on every tune. I don’t know what the sound was like at the back of the room, but the stage balance was perfect. The guys loved the sound. Playing the York at a low volume comes easy, and the 3 hour gig on that horn didn’t tire me out as expected. The deep resonate tone of the York is so much fun to work with. Although it is not as easy to get around on as my HB21, it does have a very singing high range that makes it a fun solo horn if you play simple. Although the Holton I once had was a great horn, I can’t say it would have worked as well. It was a little harder to get around on and a bit on the dark side. More of a TOOL. I do prefer my HB21 and other smaller horns for solo and general work. To have the 6/4 BBb York out on certain “select” gigs is a real pleasure. A REAL TUBA. There is a picture of this horn on the Dutch Tuba Site. Pic #201.

Follow Ups: