Re: CC tuba in the $6000 range

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Erik on September 24, 2002 at 01:27:50:

In Reply to: CC tuba in the $6000 range posted by Richie on September 24, 2002 at 00:45:20:

Well, it's a couple hundred dollars over $6000, but I must take this opportunity to plug the Rudolf Meinl CCC (the Rudy piston horn). I bought mine about 18 months ago and have been very pleased. First and foremost is the sound--I quite simply fell in love with it. It also didn't hurt that the response (with a minor exception of a couple notes around low F-G) and intonation was about as good as one finds. It can handle the situations you described with aplomb. If you can try one, do so.

I must admit though, I also liked the Miraphone 188. Depending on your preferences, it might be getting a little large for solo and quartet work, but the response of the thing was amazing. It seemed like the note came out of the bell before you put air through the horn. But in the end the sound of the Rudy won me over.

Point of all this: try as many horns as you can get your hands on. Buy the one you would like to listen to. And don't let a couple hundred dollars influence your decision (if you buy a tuba you love and never sell it, you spend ~$6K. If you decide you don't like it too much, you sell it, take a hit on the value, buy another, so now the net cost is maybe ~$7.5K. So buy one because you like to play it, not just because the price is right).

Erik

Follow Ups: