Re: Tuba playing in church

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Me! on September 30, 2002 at 22:17:17:

In Reply to: Tuba playing in church posted by Chris on September 30, 2002 at 22:04:16:

Funny you should mention that. I was just discussing this exact think with my wife. I play Bass pretty well, and play it every week at church. Every once in a while I put down the bass and pick up my trombone or euph and do in instrumental solo, and then pick up the bass again. We do mostly CCM stuff and praise and worship music, so the Bass/keyboard/piano/drums/guitar/singers don't really need a tuba to add anything to it. It's unfortunate. I play 4 instruments, but tuba is by far my best, and I can never find a place that I feel is comfortable to "whip it out" I have done some brass ensemble stuff with other church members, so I do get to play it, but nothing that really allows me to cut loose in church. I have to keep reminding myself that I am playing for His glory, not mine. I always make the instument choice based on honestly which instrument would be best for the song we are doing, and the style of the piece.
If yours is the kind of church that has "special" music during the offering or other parts, I bet you could volunteer to do a solo, and get a piano or organ to back you up. It doesn't have to be a tuba solo, you could do the melody to "how great thou art" and get a big reaction. Just remember, even if nobody pats you on the back afterwards, you are doing it for His glory, and that's what really matters.

Follow Ups: