Re: Super Stuffy Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Schultz on September 03, 2003 at 14:32:46:

In Reply to: Super Stuffy Tuba posted by Deet on September 03, 2003 at 11:29:18:

First of all, there are many other things that can make a horn stuffy... like misaligned valve ports and leaks. However, I usually check for obstructions first... especially school horns. I have found all sorts of stuff stuck inside tubas including a 1985 TubaChristmas button, and a bottle of Holton trombone oil. I can allways pinpoint the blockage using a strong magnet and a large ball bearing (yes, I have a home-made Dent Eraser). Once you rind the blockage, you have to be careful to push it the right direction. Otherwise, it will just get stuck worse. If it is something that won't come out with garden hose water pressure, I've had pretty good results with a length of 1/2" vinyl tubing. Go in through the main tuning slide. Sometimes something has to be done to impact the obstruction, so I simply screw a large carriage bolt into the tubing. A little lubricant such as dishwashing liquid can be helpful making the vinyl slide better.

Follow Ups: