Re: My Flea-Market Adventure

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on September 03, 2003 at 15:18:57:

In Reply to: My Flea-Market Adventure posted by Rick Denney on September 03, 2003 at 14:19:14:

Engineers would want efficiency. For your situation that would imply, that if you work up a trombone embouchure good enough to make dedicated slide practising worthwhile, then you have developed an embouchure, which will make euphonium playing much more relevant for you.

For me the euph relates to my double valved bassbones embouchurewise and mouthpiecewise. There are other samples of players taking the same approach, but we constitute a minority.

The by far most common doubling set-up is that of tenor trombone and euphonium. The trombone side of that equation most often is a .547 symphony tenor, but .525 (Bach 36) and .509 (King 3B) do occur.

My .500 and .547 bones relate to my 1967 B&H Imperial comp Brit style baritone, which I play through a DW4AY.

That has lead me to use a DW4AL for the larger and a DW4BS for the smaller bone.

I seem to remember, that you use a DW3AL for your euph. With my philosophy of minimising the number of different rim sizes used for my many instruments, my suggestion would be to go for the DW4AL on the euph and the DW4BS on the trombone.

The DW4AL feel and sound might benefit from an opening of the throat and backbore. On the DW4BS don‘t touch the throat, as that will make the horn rattle from overblowing. However an opening of the lower backbore might add warmth to the sound.

If you work on a set-up as suggested or one following the same blueprint, you will get an almost doubled return from your work-investment on the bone (the keyword is work; a quarter of an hour a month or even a day through the foundation-building period will take you nowhere).

Klaus

Follow Ups: