Re: Re: Re: Becoming a professional

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by real answers on September 03, 2003 at 21:38:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Becoming a professional posted by Proctor on September 03, 2003 at 21:09:07:

I have to admit that I only scanned your rebuttal, because many of the phrases seemed to resemble another's.

However, I think you and I agree more than we disagree. Though Michigan and Indiana are hybrids ("semi"-trade schools), Eastman is a full-blown trade school...Its name indeed is the Eastman School of Music - not "Eastman University". Though Eastman itself is a bit of a hybrid (being connected by a thread to the University of Rochester), Eastman performance majors are only required to take a very small handful of "non-music" courses throughout their four-year tenure. Further, Eastman expects its students to have completed the outlined course of study in eight semesters, rather than the typical university view of "completing at one's own pace" while "finding oneself" and "exploring options", etc.

YES, a top-level trade school ("conservatory", if you will) is indeed a typical path towards success, though quite a few who succeed in becoming professionals do so prior to their completion of their outlined four years of conservatory training.

Follow Ups: