Re: Re: Re: Re: Becoming a professional

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by by making... on September 03, 2003 at 21:49:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Becoming a professional posted by real answers on September 03, 2003 at 21:26:17:

...the assumption that the parent meant an orchestral or military band tubist only, you ignore the many, many, many people who make a respectable living as freelance musicians. While it's true that most of us also do some sort of teaching (as do the vast majority of full time orchestral musicians)many of us make the majority of our living playing our horns. I would also argue that the fierce single-mindedness, non-liberal arts type of person who becomes an orchestral audition winning machine can also end up being the socially uneasy, relationship-challenged, disgruntled with the best of gigs, unable to construct a simple sentence (not a fine example here!) sort of person whom I have come in contact with and/or known personally all too many times. I would suggest:

1) find a great TEACHER. Listen to what he says, and challenge it on occasion. Make them earn their salary!
2) listen to as much recordrd music as possible...ALL styles
2a) go to as many live concerts as possible
3) practice your ass off
4) live life... for example, take astronomy classes...cooking classes...study philosophy...having a well-rounded education and life will make you a BETTER MUSICIAN.
5) learn to type
6) practice some more
6) learn to play the PIANO
7) teach some students as soon as you are able...it will make YOU a better player, and may help keep the dominos pizza sign off of your car. However, working a lame minimum-wage job will make you want it even more.
8) practice even more.
9) learn to keep your mouth shut and play well on the lamest of gigs.

Good luck

Follow Ups: