Re: Re: College Tuba Prgrams

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ron on September 04, 2003 at 05:15:50:

In Reply to: Re: College Tuba Prgrams posted by Doug on September 03, 2003 at 23:33:07:

Miami University - Oxford, Ohio

I know, everyone is saying WHO? But, when you have Michael Thornton (Principal Tuba Cincinnati Symphony, & Cincinnati Pops) as your teacher for the tuba/euph studio, it is amazing! He was recognized as one of the top 5 living tuba players a few years back. There was a comparison of the tuba players in all the major cities completed a few years back. After you remove inflation/cost of living for those cities, he makes nearly twice than everyone else! He studied with Jacobs - A HUGE PLUS in my book! Plus, he designs each student's program around their current abilities, and their rate of development - like a good program should. He pushes each student to new levels and stretches their abilities. I have worked with some college level professors that always want to change your mouthpiece or your embouchure, or make everyone play the same pieces. He focuses on doing whatever is necessary to make your sound the best he can - BIG AND FAT! He is a machine when it comes to teaching breathing! WOW! His students can really play!

Follow Ups: