Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alternative horn materials redux

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by RIck Denney on September 04, 2003 at 10:38:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alternative horn materials redux posted by js on September 04, 2003 at 01:18:53:

All the Yamaha literature uses the term "monel". I don't think it is trademarked, because I see it in lots of material descriptions without any trademark symbol. The particular alloy might have been patented, and the patent may have expired, allowing Yamaha to use the real Monel allow instead of their own slight (and legal) variation. Copyright wouldn't be applicable here.

I would worry about carbon composites on rotors. They cannot help but have a different coefficient of expansion than the brass casing. Also, the epoxy binder (if that's what they use) is hard to lubricate effectively.

And why make rotors with carbon composites in the first place? The whole point of the carbon fibers is its high tensile strength. But rotors don't need to be strong; they need to be light and dimensionally stable. The dimensional stability has been the enemy of lightness all along.

If they just want to be expensive, why don't thy make the rotors hollow, like piston valves, with ports soldered or brazed into a shell, the way Cerveny used to do? Or out of titanium? Or out of a strong ceramic?

Rick "who doesn't think high-tech materials mean high-tech thinking" Denney

Follow Ups: