Re: Re: Re: Re: Review of New Besson CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on September 04, 2003 at 23:29:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Review of New Besson CC posted by another little bird on September 04, 2003 at 22:38:34:

Speaking of Marzan's....

Whoever is getting Chuck(G)'s Marzan is getting one hell of a deal. Even though it takes a bit of accordion-like abilities to manipulate from what he says, the SOUND of all of those Marzans is about the closest one can get to a scaled back York copy. Plus the price he sold it for makes me wish I had a bank account my wife didn't know about. VERY reasonably priced for a quality CC tuba. At least with it you know it will sound good, most tubas can't guarantee that. I'll take slide pulling for that!

However, the worksmanship on all of those old Marzan's and B&M's seemed to be pretty solid. I'm guessing that these Besson horns will have a general consistency less than that coming out of UMI's doors. I would always be leary of a company that is trying to send manufacturing to a company like India to save a few dollars. Before you know it, this horn will be made there as well, regardless of what they say now.

FWIW, I haven't played a Nirschl 4/4 that sounded as good as those old Marzan B&M's. There is a difference in some of the branches and the positioning of the valve cluster.

Still, the Besson would be in the same family. A 4/4 York copy.

At least these guys are sending them back due to worksmanship and not pawning them off on unsuspecting customers, for that we should be thankful.

Matt G

Follow Ups: