Re: Tuba: Mouthpiece messin!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger Lewis on September 05, 2003 at 06:57:30:

In Reply to: Tuba: Mouthpiece messin!!!! posted by Brandon Ostrom on September 04, 2003 at 18:09:25:

At the peak of my "insane" years for practicing (8 to 12 hours a day) I went through a period of exploration as well. I was playing a lot of football in previous years and would use ankle weights for training purposes. I got to thinking about what would happen if I did the same thing for my "chops" - meaning air, embouchure, tonguing and everything else involved in the sound production process?

I decided to settle in with a practice mute in every horn that I picked up and would do this for a period of 3 months (I declined all gigs during that Summer). So for 3 months I never heard the sound of the open horn. I would work on soft long tones, practice in completely dark rooms, work on orchestral excertps, scales, the Arban book, Kopprasch, Rochut - everything as I would in my normal practice period.

At first it was very frustrating, going form what I felt was a good sound to this stifled, tiny sound, but after about 2 months of persevering I actually started to like the sound coming out of the practice mute (note - I never cheated during this time).

When I finally removed the mute, the experience was incredible! I had developed a very efficient embochure and my sound had matured greatly. And then there was the power of the sound - awesome! I consider this crazy period one of the biggest steps in my development as a player and I have my students try this from time-to-time (in moderation) and they notice the difference immediately.

I think this might be worth trying for you if it is the sound you wish to develop.

Just my thoughts on the matter, based on my practice habits.

Roger

Follow Ups: