Re: Re: First audition-Advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd S. Malicoate on September 05, 2003 at 13:52:26:

In Reply to: Re: First audition-Advice posted by why not.... on September 04, 2003 at 22:19:14:

This is some of the best advice I have ever seen on Tubenet. Seriously. Particularly the part about slow practice - I would add to that using a metronome starting at the speed you can play the excerpt or solo passage at ABSOLUTELY PERFECTLY, then working your way up one click at a time until you EXCEED performance tempo. Don't settle for "just okay" - be disciplined with yourself and don't move on until it's perfect. This system is analogous to weight training reps - just the sheer number of repetitions on a particular phrase will make it second nature to you in no time (see "muscle memory"). Try to focus on very short excerpts at a time, and budget your practice time to allow you to do this method on every spot in the music - EVEN THE EASY ONES (the "easy" sections are usually what distinguish the prepared auditionee from the not-so-prepared player).

It's been my experience that this is the detail work many otherwise fine players neglect all too often. It takes a tremendous amount of dedication to do this, and it is boring at times, but SLOW PRACTICE WORKS!

The part about listening to other musicians is great, also. Don't be a practice room hermit - attend every recital you can (instrumental or vocal). Take the time to REALLY LISTEN! Take notes - determine what is effective and what doesn't work. Build yourself a notebook - review it when you're taking a chops break to remind yourself what makes a quality performer.

Always remember #9 - especially when you think you've "arrived." The best players ARE the best because they continue to develop their skills.

Follow Ups: