Re: Severe hand pains

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on September 06, 2003 at 18:56:02:

In Reply to: Severe hand pains posted by Brandon Ostrom on September 05, 2003 at 12:11:54:

I consulted my chiropractor about the same sort of over-use type pain in my right hand during long gigs. He told me that there was a muscle imbalance. The motion we use to depress valves is much like grasping, but we do nothing to strengthen the opposing muscles on the back side of our hands. Furthermore, the muscles we do use tend to tighten up and contract. Try this simple exercise; place your fingertips(and thumb) together, then slip a rubber band over them, doubling it if needed, then stretch out your fingers and thumb. This will work the opposing muscles while stretching out the tight ones. An over-the-counter anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen(Motrin) or naproxen(Alleve) can give temporary relief and allow the hand(and you) to relax while it heals. If the pain persists, particularly if it is a burning or shooting pain, you most likely have carpal-tunnel syndrome or other nerve damage that will need professional attention. I wish you speedy relief!

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: