Re: Re: Re: 26J Conn tuba case

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on September 06, 2003 at 22:36:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: 26J Conn tuba case posted by Chuck(G) on September 06, 2003 at 21:43:31:

There is a lot of confusion about the Conn 2xJ numbers. Forget the number and describe the horn. If it is a top action, either 3 or four valves, the same BODY CASE will fit. If front action, I can't say for sure, because I don't know if the case will need to be deeper to handle the extra depth required for the front action valves, and, the padding in the case would need to be re-arranged since the front action wrap is the reverse of the top action models. Contact Lee Stofer. He will know for sure.

You have to BE CAREFUL about cases for the upright bell. Unless it is specially built to fit both the bell front AND the upright (more room to handle the increased length on the upright bell) it WILL NOT fit your upright properly. You can put a bend in the upright bell by trying to make it fit in a bell front case.

The 2xJ/3xJ Conns do require a two piece case. Even if you could find/make a one piece case, you will never be able (unless you are related to King Kong) to lift or transport it. I have a 20J with both bells. The horn body, in its case, is more than I want to lift; without considering the additional weight of the bell in it's case. I carry mine in the back of my mini van, just lifting it enough to get it onto a hand truck, so I can haul both cases, tuba stand, music stand, etc., is enouh for me.

A lot of work, but, if you really like the big horn (like I do), you put up with it because nothing else really is a much fun to play or has that big pipe organ tone. Best of luck with your BIG TUBA.

Follow Ups: