Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Going Pro???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 08, 2003 at 17:00:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Going Pro??? posted by Joe Baker on September 08, 2003 at 14:49:23:

It should go without saying that I learned what little wisdom I have at the hands of hardship. I spent 13 years in the public sector, and believe me I put up with lots of "arbitrary" and "capricious". I suspect I dished out my share, too.

On the other hand, my most successful stint was at the City of San Antonio, where I told my prospective boss, in the interview, what kind of person I was and what it would be like to work with me. I was brutally honest about my weaknesses, in addition to putting my strengths forward. Despite that, they hired me. The result was an extremely productive six years--probably the most productive in the history of that office.

The reason I approached it that way was because of the previous job with the City of _____. In that job, I spent so much time trying to make myself look good enough for the job that I forgot that I would actually have to hold it if selected. I was fired ("laid off") after 18 months. My consolation is that up till that time and about five years thereafter, nobody held that position in that organization longer than 9 months.

As a consultant, I interview for projects all the time. I have found that the harder I try to sell a project, the less likely I am to get it.

Yes, my clients are in the public sector, and they are as capricious and arbitrary as it gets. One day I'll tell you the story of the freeway message signs in Birmingham, heh, heh. But my principle is still true--if I get a project under false expectations, it usually turns into a disaster.

Rick "wanna see my scars?" Denney

Follow Ups: