Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Severe hand pains

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 09, 2003 at 12:05:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Severe hand pains posted by Brandon Ostrom on September 08, 2003 at 19:33:42:

There is a difference between "some force" and "locked and tight". Locked muscles cramp after a while, and you may have pulled or torn the muscle a little bit without realizing it.

I've also had the problem when changing to a new tuba until I learned how to hold it and until my muscles have gotten used to it. Now that I think about it, my hand was usually sore after playing the 20J for extended periods, because it lacked the thumb ring (and it NEEDS a thumb ring).

Were I you, I'd take frequent breaks, and during those breaks I would remove my right hand from the instrument and allow it to hang down at my side to get some fresh blood into it. Performance allows us frequent opportunities for such rest. I would also consider a different way of holding the instrument. This may require moving the thumb rest or installing a new one. Even if you have been playing the instrument for a long time, you may still need a change of hand position. Overuse injuries can be subtle and can build over a long period before they rise to the level of conscious symptoms.

Rick "who doesn't miss top-action instruments" Denney

Follow Ups: