Re: Crazy Practicing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on September 10, 2003 at 17:56:35:

In Reply to: Crazy Practicing posted by Brandon Ostrom on September 10, 2003 at 00:43:48:

Ok, so no one really ever likes to admit that maybe they didn't something well. Two years ago I had the opportunity to play Mahler 1 for the first time. I really crashed on the 3rd movement solo on two rehearsals. After the second one, I went home and practiced the 3rd movement solo 85 times in a row, in groups of 5. Play it 5 times, rest 5 minutes, you get the picture. By the time I got to the dress rehearsal the next day, I played it great. I went home between the dress rehearsal and the concert and played it 35 more times. Got to the gig and nailed it, the rest of the piece was fine, too. It was like I was in a hypnotic state when I played it. I remember taking the first breath and the next thing I know, I am frantically wondering where the hell I am in the sustained D and in bad need of a breath. Luckily the bass trombone player sensed my anxiety and got me out of it. To this day, I can play Mahler 1, dead on, with no problems. Now if I could just play the rest of the literature, I may be on to something.

Chuck

Follow Ups: