Re: auditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Me on September 10, 2003 at 21:01:42:

In Reply to: auditions posted by david on September 10, 2003 at 18:33:44:

In response to your question:

First and foremost:

MAKE a MUSICAL statement, don't ask a musical question. You dig?

The equipment needs to be right for what you are playing, which only you can decide. If it's a blind audition, no one will see what horn or mouthpiece you are using anyways. Dynamics, do what the piece says... If your excerpt/solo only has a dynamic range of mezzo forte to forte, make the most of it. If it has pianissimo to fortissimo, likewise. In my opinion, all dynamics are relative, within good taste. Use your ear to decide what good taste is.

Use breathing exercises, mouthpiece buzzing, metronome work, scales, whatever it takes to get you to the goal of being a MUSICIAN.

Granted, I have not auditioned for very many things (maybe about 50 - 60 total in my life) and I have lost more than I won. However I just started graduate school (in performance) this year after spending for years earning a music ed. degree, and I did place top chair in all of the ensembles I auditioned for here. My biggest fear in going to graduate school was that I would not be able to make it as a performer, but I believe in myself, and I am making it.

ME

Follow Ups: