Re: Re: What to do, What to do??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by olituba on September 15, 2003 at 17:33:57:

In Reply to: Re: What to do, What to do?? posted by lisa on September 15, 2003 at 09:12:49:

Good point, Lisa!

I also did that: buy at least one mp/ year for over ten years. then I finally put my brain to work: What EXACTLY do I find wrong/uncomfortable/etc with the one I was playing? Consequently, what had to change, what did I expect from a new/different mp? Thatīs how got into going to a mp-maker directly and work it out with them. My first two versions of Kontrabasstuba mpīs my then teacher wanted copies of immidiately, last year, after 5 years on those two I got a different horn, so needed a mp that fits. On the F tuba Iīve been switching back ond forth every two years on two of "my designs" according to changes in the embouchure, but apart from the new BBb-mp last year - or was it two years ago - I havenīt bought one in a couple of years.
To sum it up: Play your current mp as long as you can get something out of it. If somethingīs not right with it, think about it first, is it really the mp? is it you maybe? ok itīs the mp! What would you expect from a different one the bring to you? Regard all parts of it: Rim (round vs flat), edge (round vs hard), cup (funnel vs bowl), bottom (steep vs rounded/ flat) of the cup, bore (long vs short, bigger vs smaller), backbore (plain conical vs concave/ convex), lightweight vs heavyweight (has to do with centering tones in extreme dynamics)

My 2 cents

Oli*I wont buy no mp from the shelf no more*tuba

Follow Ups: