Re: TIGHT VALVE SLIDES!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on September 17, 2003 at 11:29:20:

In Reply to: TIGHT VALVE SLIDES! posted by :) on September 17, 2003 at 11:10:41:

Dear :),

AW has already answered appropriately to your dilemma. You must remove a very small amount of metal from the inner and outer tubing of the slides. You need a compound to do this. The name of this compound is "lapping compound", hence the term lapping out the slides. This process is very simple and quickly done by a qualified repair person. The cost should be relatively low as well. Most anyone in a given area can do this is they have basic repair skills and this can be usually done while you wait if you make an appointment. The tolerances are tighter and frictional surfaces are greater, usually, on your slides than on the valves themselves. While lubrication will work to an extent, removal of metal, even in small amounts, is what is needed to improve the action of your slides.

While your at it, if the repair person is qualified, you can also ask about venting the valves. This is simply icing on the cake, as it allows for slightly faster/quieter/smoother movement when the slides are being moved. You can probably get this accomplished for a mere fraction of what you have payed for the horn, and the investment will be worth it.

I, too, own a hown with tight slides and non-vented valves. Guess what. Those are going to be addressed soon. In the same manner I am describing to you now. FWIW, the only factory I have seen really sensitive to this issues has been Mirafone. Those folks have been venting valves on the CC's (pro models) for a long time out of the factory and the slides are usually pretty quick right out of the box.

Find a qualified repair person in your area and you will be pleased with the results.

Matt G

Follow Ups: