Red Lehr in Chicago

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Frederiksen on September 17, 2003 at 16:34:20:

Just received an email to forward on:

Hi all,
Red Lehr, maniac Sousaphonist extraordinaire, is making a rare appearance in the Chicago area. I encourage you to come as well as any others who want to have a good time hearing some great traditional jazz. If you have any students, they should definitely come to hear this as well. Nobody does it like Red.
Here are the details:
Sunday, September 21, 2 PM to 5:30 PM.
Jean Kittrell and the St. Louis Rivermen performing at the
Illiana Jazz Club
Glendora Ballroom
10225 South Harlem Avenue
Chicago Ridge, IL

This is sponsored by the Illiana Club of Traditional Jazz. Tickets must be purchased from the Club, not the Glendora House. The phone number for the Illiana Club of raditional Jazz is 708 754 3049. Advance purchase tickets for the St. Louis Rivermen cost $15.00 and tickets purchased at the door cost $18.00. Advance purchase simply involves calling the I C O T J and reserving a ticket. The ticket is then held at the
Glendora House and the payment is made when the ticket is picked up at the door. In other words, a simple phone call will save $3.00 per ticket.

Long ago when I played and taught in St. Louis, I required my students at the St. Louis Conservatory to present a bar tab from the steamboat "Robert E. Lee" which was docked at the wharf on the Mississippi. That is where Red and his groups performed most every weekend evening. I wanted them to hear and experience a "Red" performance because there is nothing like it. Once you hear him, you'll know why.
Hope to see as many as can come there (as soon as I myself can depart from my downtown concert).

Thanks and regards, Gene Pokorny

OK, it's short notice and for some of us it's a long way. It's Sunday, the Bears are off (besides they s**k) - how about an early Octubafest in Chicago, let Red do the playing! Anyone coming?

Follow Ups: