Re: A Question for the College Students

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Common on September 20, 2003 at 07:35:41:

In Reply to: A Question for the College Students posted by Troubled on September 19, 2003 at 20:04:11:

I'd say its common. Happenned to me. I was the only euphonium player at my undergrad who wanted to do anything with it... I went there with a great work ethic and wanting to become a much better player, AND complete a music ed degree. I had never take lessons before undergrad, and I came from an AWFUL high school music program.

I passed up everyone in the studio within my freshman year. Was this an amazing accomplishment? NO! It is just simply comparing hard work to others, who, in ,y opinion, were "barely getting by." Now, for some reason though, "barely getting by" can still get you B's, and sometime's A's on your report--I have no idea how, but hey, I'm not a professor.

Ya, I had that situation. But, the school was still good for ME, so I stayed there, and continued to learn. Yes, I wish I could have had a better band, but I did not consider this enough of a loss to warrant transfering (and giving up a nice scholarship). Besides, I made up for the bad band thing by going to UNT for my masters...

Even if the situation seems bad, you have to judge it specifically from your point of view. Are YOU still learning? Are YOU still getting what you want from your teachers? I know you are upset with the band, but you can still do your best to play your parts to the best of your ability without worrying too much about the way others play. I know I know, we all get better when we are surrounded by better musicians, especially in ensemble... But, win some, lose some...

As far as the university, and the professors, you have to remember now that PROFESSORS are held accountable if a student fails! Do you know what would happen if your teachhers started giving F's out for lazy, half-ass work? Or not even--just D's and C's? People, and parents would complain. And, rather than work harder, most students would either quit, or transfer somewhere else that is easier. Then what happens? Your tough professor? He/she gets FIRED!! Why, for having STANDARDS! Yep, the Dean, or the president, or someone up there, would tell them to quit flunking students, or they are gone. And eventually, they will get fired. So what's the moral? A lot of schools would RATHER have low standards to keep students (and parents) happy with their 3.0 plus GPA--so enrollment, and TUITION is up UP UP!! Dont worry about standards, that comes a DISTANT second, maybe even third or fourth, who knows...

So, that was my semi-random rant. I wanted to be anonymous to protect my undergrad school, which I REALLY think is a great resource for music ed majors, but it is still falling victim to the above paragraph. I think a lot of schools (especially state universiteis) are.... But hey, isnt college just extended high school now? I mean, CMON, EVERYONE has a bachelor's degree, right?

Follow Ups: