Re: A Question for the College Students

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by practice rooms . . . on September 20, 2003 at 10:32:54:

In Reply to: A Question for the College Students posted by Troubled on September 19, 2003 at 20:04:11:

practice rooms are the same at every school. Find one, claim it, and pay your dues.

Hang out with the few students that are making a difference. It really does not matter where you get your undergraduate degree as long as you have a good private instructor, and you are having musical experiences. The best musical experiences may happen outside your school, at places such as conventions or competitions.

Go to conventions, take lessons from other teachers, and practice.

Your own motivation will make a difference at the school, even if you end up inspiring trumpet players rather than tuba players. Find other like minded people and make music. There is apathy even at the largest and most highly regarded institutions.

Play every note like you are performing with the Chicago Symphony. It doesn't matter what is going on around you, just make it a challenge to play your part flawlessly.

I know exactly where you are coming from. I've been there and succeeded at a high level. Focusing on negative aspects of anything does not make you a better musician. Lead by example and you will be surprised at the experiences you can have, even in the most dismal environments.

Final quote: "the world sure looks sh*tty through these brown eyes." My teacher told me that during a master's degree. The facilities and ensembles were terrible. Wanting to transfer, I talked with my teacher when he related the above pearl of wisdom to me. I practiced, he was right.

That said, switching schools can be a good thing for some people. Depends how much you have already invested at your current location. Students who transfer often add another year to their course of study. $$

Follow Ups: