Re: Consider This.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Zerkel on September 22, 2003 at 08:50:06:

In Reply to: Consider This. posted by re: College Finances on September 21, 2003 at 21:38:01:

My scholarship budget at UGA for all incoming students for the past two years has been less than in-state tuition for one student. Do I lose great players to other schools that have more money? You bet I do.

The correlation of scholarship money awarded to having enough talent to win a gig is fallacious. What causes a student to be successful enough to win a professional gig has nothing to do with their perceived talent level at the end of their high school careers, or a decision that is based on accepting a full ride at a school with a large endowment. Success as a musician is caused by hard work and a burning desire to succeed.

I would love to offer big a scholarship to every talented kid that auditions. But, I can't.

BTW, I had a modest scholarship for my undergraduate degree that didn't begin to dent the tuition bill.

My advice to auditioning music majors: make the decision that you feel is best for your future, best for your family, and best for you. A scholarship is great acknowkedgement of your ability and the school's desire to have you on campus, but it should not be sole determining factor in determining your destination.

Follow Ups: