Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Making a living (and paying loans)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 22, 2003 at 12:18:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Making a living (and paying loans) posted by Sean Chisham on September 21, 2003 at 19:38:24:

Sean, don't for a minute think your education has been short-changed because you worked throughout it instead of participating in the social activities that you missed. I think you'll find that what you gained from that work will take you further at all levels than those who didn't work. Work in college is part of the education.

I don't think anybody is making the claim that one approach is any more or less worthy than another approach, despite the stories of private valor in reference to our parents and grandparents. My father paid for his schooling the same way you did, except that he went in on a military contract (i.e., ROTC at Texas A&M) instead of paying off loans after the fact. He still had to serve the time, of course, and he did so during Korea. As for me, I went to school with support from my parents. Does that make me less worthy? Of course not.

But it is a matter of safety. It is quite dangerous to incur huge debt without much hope of repaying it, or without at least a realistic plan for repaying it. This danger can have worse consequences than going to school at night or every other semester. Defaulting or being late on those loans makes nearly all other worthwhile financial transactions impossible. Who among us would counsel such a dangerous approach? Mentioning the danger in this thread is a warning to others that loans today mean payments tomorrow, and that the quantity of dollars tomorrow will always be much greater than it is today.

The idea behind student loans (and behind the support my parents gave me) is that one will earn an education in college that will lead them to a decent living. I'm the first to argue that college is not job training and shouldn't be. But an educated person with intelligence will be able to make a decent living doing something. The college degree is proof enough of the ability to maintain discipline enough to hold a job, and many good jobs require the degree only to the extent that it demonstrates that discipline. It isn't always what we thought it would be when we started out, but we still have to meet our obligations. I'd bet you didn't think you end up in the Army.

Thus, for the original poster, the answer is simple: Work. Some gigs (like being a military musician) are demanding and pay you what you need. You'll earn your freedom from debt. Finding a host of small jobs and adding them together is no less demanding, and this approach requires energy, dedication, and intelligence to be successful--the same qualities you needed in college. It may also require stocking some groceries, driving nails, or plowing a few winter parking lots. But now is the time to find work and do it, even if it seems beneath you at first. You have to start somewhere, and the only real imperative is to start now.

But for those of you who haven't yet made the decision to incur debt, think about it carefully, and know fully what you'll be faced with after the fact. If you take out student loans, do it on purpose, with a realistic plan for paying them back.

Rick "not seeing any personal attacks" Denney

Follow Ups: