Re: Re: Re: Re: Sousaphone Rotary Valves

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on September 22, 2003 at 14:00:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Sousaphone Rotary Valves posted by js on September 22, 2003 at 13:03:11:

Joe,

I believe/agree with you on the 14K/36K merits. I wonder why Conn never turned this basic sousa into a concert BBb as was seemingly done with the 20K (Hence 20J). Conn has been making 5J's and 12J's that seem to possess the same qualities as the 14K, i.e. very in tune overtone series, good false tones, etc. In fact the 5J's 4 valve is icing on the cake as many play well enough with 3-valve combos until the bottom end of the horn.

If only Conn could have made a .734 non-short stroke, four valve, full size or slightly above BBb tuba. I bet that woul be a keeper now...

Or maybe not.

As for the original poster:

A four valve sousa would be great if every one else on the field were highly concerned with intonation. You know the trumpets aren't normally kicking out the third slide when marching. Most 'bone players don't really get out to 6th and 7th while stumbling around, and most baritone players are marching 3 bangers too. Notes below low F and E really don't project that well on the field due to the large volume required to sustain it. Unless you have a big section (15+ players), don't worry about taking stuff down to the basement. Even if you have enough guys, only send a few down and let them stagger. Then that bottom octave starts to work.

I think that a fourth valve on a sousa adds more mass than merit.

Matt G

Follow Ups: