Re: Re: Sousaphone Rotary Valves

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on September 22, 2003 at 17:02:28:

In Reply to: Re: Sousaphone Rotary Valves posted by Tim Cary on September 22, 2003 at 16:13:53:

Even for players with a really good ability of placing note pitches exactly where they should be despite out-of-tune equipment it is a great relief, even a joy, to play instruments, which are in tune with themselves.

I never had the chance to try a Conn 20K, as I live in the far-out diaspora tubawise. Yet I put weight on Joe'S reporting of its 3rd partial being flat. Even if I don't understand the reason for that defect, should it not be based on the ovalised valve ports and/or the-sometimes-post-WWII weight reduction and slimming up the largest bow branch.

I play one of the ancestors to the 20K, the 40K with 4 pistons. It is heavy beyond belief, has an immense bore of the behind-the-back-bow, has long stroke pistons, and only has a 24" bell, but it might be these facts, that makes it a very good and in tune BBb tuba.

As I train all tonalities after the concept laid down in my scale routines, I don't accept any scales skewed by impossible notes. The 40K, and by the way also my signature tuba, the York Master BBb, both are great, as they have very good 4th valve loops. It is a great relief to hit perfect low C's and F's with the corresponding B and E naturals being very manageable.

So I certainly understand the wish for a 4th valve on sousaphones. But here the big BUT enters: weight!

My 40K never was made for marching, but for some pro dance musician of the late twenties. It lacks a very important feature of the never Conn sousaphones: the pull-able top bow of the 1st valve tubing.

That is the feature, which I would exploit before adding a 4th valve to a modern sousaphone intended for marching.

Klaus

Follow Ups: