Holton tuba survey, therd times a charm

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daniel C. Oberloh on September 22, 2003 at 17:54:41:

I'm sure a number of folks on the list have read the past posts by Tony E, and many have also visited the web page that I put together showing the extensive work that I and my staff performed on his horn. Conversations Tony E and I have had have left us both very curious as to how many of these instruments truly exist. The Holton company, which manufactured these tubas from the 50's into the mid-70's, seems to have few details regarding the number of instruments they produced. I presume the majority of these instruments still exist, albeit in varying states of disrepair. Because of the time period of manufacture I would presume most of them are not in the hands of their original owners and sadly, any details that could be gleaned from the original acquisition are lost.

So, I would (Once again) like to respectfully ask the readers of this post to help me locate the whereabouts, condition and history of these tubas. My primary interest at this time is focused on the Holton 345s, both BBbs and CCs.

With the help of a lot of tuba friends,To date seventeen tubas have been located and registered. To those who were so good to provide the information, I asked for, I once again say THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I would appreciate it if anyothers who are in posession of or know the whereabouts of any Holton 345s, BBb or CC, cut or in original state, would please email me and share the information they have on their horn, or pass my request for information along to anyone else who might have knowledge of this subject. In addition to the 345, I would be glad to hear of any 350 or 355 models that may be out there as I have been including them in my search.This would also include any models that have been destroyed or rendered for parts. Those who have parted with instruments that have been listed in the past, please let me know where they are presently so I can update the file.

The following are the basic details that I am presently con the look out for:
1) the serial number
2) the finish - silver plate (satin or bright) or lacquer finish brass
3) BBb or CC, cut or uncut
4) approximate condition and description of any known repairs or alterations
5) name of the owner (past and present)
6) any additional information you would like to share

Once again, Please understand that I have total respect for the privacy of those who would be willing to share this information with me. I want to assure everyone that this information will not be misused and will *most definitely* not be handed out to any "horn hounds". This information is strictly for my own curiosity. I have been compiling a census of how many of these giants actually exist and want obtain more details about their technical aspects. This census would be shared with other parties interested in this type of information. We plan to also make it availble to the Holton Company as they have expressed great interest in what information might be obtained.

If you have any questions or reservations feel free to email me.
Respectfully,
Daniel C. Oberloh
Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works
Seattle, WA
(206) 241-5767

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow Ups:

Follow Ups: